Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Nyx

I found one of my tarantulas flipped over on its back this morning, as I was on my way to school. From experience I knew this meant it was going to molt, and grow.

Nhandu coloratovillosus Mar 28 2014

By the time I got home it had molted and mostly regained its colouration (many invertebrates are pale and milky in colour after a molt, much like an albino, until their exoskeletons finish expanding and hardening).

Nhandu coloratovillosus Mar 28 2014

As you can see, Nyx has reached somewhere around 4 1/2" to 5" in legspan, depending on how far he stretches out his legs. I say 'he' tentatively, but I am mostly certain I am now in possession of another mature male.

Nhandu coloratovillosus Mar 28 2014 A

This tarantula is 4 years and 10 months old. I raised it up from an itty witty little thing. It's amazing that this palm-sized creature used to be the size of my pinky finger nail. Nature's magic! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment